THE ORIGINAL CASTLE
The Glenmoriston Estate is one of the most spectacular estates in the Highlands. The original castle was built back in the 15th. Century, but most of it sadly burned down around 1745, with and a new castle built at the beginning of the 19th Century.
The photo opposite was taken in 1934 but there are, unfortunately, no remains left today.
THE ORIGINAL TWEED
As the crow flies, Glenmoriston lies five miles north-west of Fort Augustus, starting at Invermoriston by Loch Ness. Prior to current ownership, the estate had belonged to the Grant family for nearly six hundred years.
In the late 1980s part of the estate was sold off and fragmented, but a portion of it, along with the house were retained by the Grants. The tweed is one of the oldest estate tweeds in existence, and first appears in the Johnston's sales book on 22nd July 1851. It seems likely it may have been adopted by Caroline, Countess of Seafield, as her estate of Glen Urquhart lies immediately to the east.
The design was extensively adopted by the tweed trade in the late 19th century. It was found to be too bright for use on the hill and was replaced in the twentieth century by a tweed from Campbells of Beauly.
Today there is a new estate tweed, designed to be as close as possible to the 1850's original.
THE ESTATE TODAY
Our new lodge has been welcoming guests since the Summer of 2010. Attention to every detail was most important to us. We carefully built the new lodge in consideration of the past and present history of the area, and have made use of the natural elements that surround us.
We can offer guests a variety of accommodation, including the immaculately equipped Estate Lodge set in kept grounds on the banks of the famous Loch Ness.
There is an endless amount of entertainment, from walks in the hills, to fishing on the river Moriston, shooting, stalking, day trips to Inverness, or simply just relaxing in the hot tub.
We are happy to accommodate all needs and would welcome any enquiry for a bespoke experience.